Staying positive throughout the weight loss process can be difficult. A few setbacks and you may be ready to give up. Staying motivated throughout your weight loss journey requires focus on the goal and positive thinking ” but what do you do when you’re feeling less than positive about your efforts?
Use these tips to help you stay positive:
1. List Your Reasons: List your reasons for choosing to lose weight. Whether it’s for health reasons, or simply to be able to fit into your favorite dress again ” list it. Then make several copies of the list, and place them where you’ll be able to see them regularly. Keeping your goals in front of you will help you remember why you’re doing all this in the first place.
2. Never Say Diet: Don’t use the word diet if you can possibly avoid it. This conjures up images of deprivation, and you end up feeling sorry for yourself. Instead, tell yourself (and others) that you’re not on a diet, but that you are trying to make healthier choices.
3. Don’t Use the “F” Word: Avoid using the word fat when describing yourself. This includes your thoughts. Thinking about how fat you are and how bad you think you look will only bring you down and stress you out. Stress often equals eating another bag of cookies.
4. Use Positive Adjectives: Instead, use another adjective that you prefer. Heavy, voluptuous, overweight ” these all have nicer connotations than “fat” and will help you to see yourself in a more positive light.
5. Focus on the Positive: Think about all the things you like about your body, as well. If you have great hair, for example, focus on that as you attempt to lose weight. This takes the focus off of the body parts you dislike, and helps to get rid of the stress.
6. Find a Role Model: Instead of focusing on celebrities that are thin, find a celebrity that is larger and attractive, or one that is struggling with weight loss. This allows you to choose a realistic role model.
Positive body image can be difficult to find when you’re struggling to lose weight. Focusing on your positive mental and physical traits will help you to be comfortable in the body you have. This allows you to work towards better health, instead of simply working to be skinnier. Overall, this is a much healthier approach to weight loss, and will help you stay positive throughout the process.